Wednesday 26 February 2020

Stylsing It Out

Not an awful lot to report this week but this Saturday I had brunch with a friend and chose to wear for the first time a grey pinafore dress I have with large (yet useless) buttons down the side, white top, tights and boots. It was one of my smarter looks and I was quite pleased with it. Nothing new this week but there was a nice jumper with a jewelled collar I quite like which I may go back for and there was a nice grey pinstriped dress that looked a but work-y and I may have bought it if I had planned to use it for work. I still do think about approaching my boss about dressing at work but it depends on my mood whether I think it's a good idea or not.

Earlier today I also watched the first episode of the new series of The Windsors. Very enjoyable sitcom based on the Royal family back for a third series and I just have to say I love the style of their versions of princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. Always a sucker for the rich, preppy, brat look and this is wonderfully OTT at times.

An article in The Metro also caught my eye earlier this week as it compared singers Harry Styles and Sam Smith who both posted photographs of themselves in dresses on Instagram.

The Metro: Battle Dress

Yes that was basically it but it was nice to see and it wasn't treated as anything sensational however I wonder if it did need to be commented on but it's still good that it was at least noticed. Pop stars can be very influencial in the way people dress. Back in the 1970s stars like David Bowie and Marc Bolan of T-Rex pioneered a more gender-bending look and it was the first time men started wearig make-up. Sam Smith publically came out as non-binary last year and former One Direction singer Harry Styles certainly has been quite public with some of his more extravagent looks. I've never really heard much about Styles but looking up some of his fashion choices while preparing to write this I have to say I admire the man a lot. He's dressed in some bright and colourful suits over the years and that's something that's very much a trend for men and I wonder if this could be some kind of halfway house between more traditional male and female clothing.

In particular Harry wore an all black sheer Gucci outfit with a pearl earring to the Met Gala last year and a dress for a Guardian Weekend article back in December. Here's a link to the article in which he also discusses his sexuality and fashion choices.

The Guardian: Harry Styles

I would also like to pick out this quote of Harry's from the article:

“What women wear. What men wear. For me it’s not a question of that. If I see a nice shirt and get told, ‘But it’s for ladies.’ I think: ‘Okaaaay? Doesn’t make me want to wear it less though.’ I think the moment you feel more comfortable with yourself, it all becomes a lot easier.”

Some wise words there. If you like it, wear it, whichever gender it may be assigned to.  I would also like to leave you with a couple of other articles on him. The first features the many, many different styles of Styles published in Vogue this very day (should I manage to finish this by midnight):

Vogue: Harry Styles Style Evolution

 The second features the joyous Twitter reaction to Styles' cover for The Guardian Weekend as publashed in Cosmopolitan. Worth reading when you think that the world will point, laugh and sneer should a man wear a dress. There is a lot of love out there, believe it or not. 

Cosmopolitan: Harry Styles Best Twitter Reactions

No comments:

Post a Comment