Wednesday 19 February 2020

Birds of Prey

Ok, so no new purchases this week and that dress I mentioned last week seems to have been sold however there was a jumper that caught my eye. It's much like one I already have however it does have a silky, frilly undershirt just around the neckline. It's feels a little subversive, part masculine with a hint of femininity there. Whether or not I'll end up buying it we'll have to see.

Now, usually these days on the weekends if I'm seeing friends I do go out dressed however this was the first time in ages I haven't which was mainly due to Storm Dennis battering the UK this weekend so as I ventured forth to see Birds of Prey with a friend, already soaked from shopping I plumped for a plain jumper and jeans. I kind of regret it now and maybe I feel I should have worn a dress or a skirt. I saw plenty of women out and about wearing all types of clothes and perhaps I wanted to have the guts to do that. There's something quite feminine in wearing something glam but totally unsuitable for the weather so maybe one day I want to be the girl in the high heels and short dress tottering along the pavement, arms folded, head down, small handbag hanging from my arm furiously walking home. Well, perhaps not too much because flu but yeah it would be fun. Only after the fact though, I expect.

So, yes we went to see Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn this weekend and I very much enjoyed it. I did plan to paint my nails the traditional Harley Quinn red and black but I went with a combination of gold, blue and pink trying to emulate one the colour scheme of one of Harley's outfits from the movie. Harley has quite a few outfits throughout the film and I came away immediately wanting to cosplay her again as she's such a fun and crazy character to do.

Harley Quinn in battle mode in Birds of Prey
Photo credit: Claudette Barius via The Hollwood Reporter

Margot Robbie first played Harley in Suicide Squad back in 2017 and was perhaps the best thing in that movie. With her signature outfit of a 'Daddy's Little Monster' top and glittery shorts she was a cosplay favourite that year and you still do see a few versions around. One thing that the SS version has brought to the mythos does seem to be her hairstyle which previously had either been blonde or black and red most commonly in bunches but here we have blonde bunches with the ends coloured blue and pink (apologies if I have this wrong and it appeared earlier in other media). Needless to say, Robbie is brilliantly nuts in the film and has an interesting range of outfits that have a wonderfully crafty quality to them, like Harley herself had spent ages making or customising them. It certainly fits this more real world version of the character although props to the producers of both this and Suicide Squad for including the classic Animated Series outfit even if it wouldn't quite be workable in this day and age unless you were making a proper live action cartoon. There's a little nod to this (I think anyway) in Harley's golden jumpsuit. The main outfit in this movie is a pink top coupled with a denim cutoff shorts and pink braces sometimes with additional t-shirt and see-through jacket adorned with crime scene tape.

There's a lovely article here on the film's costumes from The Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/birds-prey-costume-designer-erin-benach-dressing-margot-robbie-as-harley-quinn-1276618

Whether or not this will end up as a cosplay I don't know (I've been trying to put together so many recently) but who knows. Certainly I think I would need something that covers a bit more of the body but you never know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment