Wednesday 4 March 2020

The Week In Crossdressing #3

There's not an awful lot I have to say this week so I'm afraid it's going to be a bit of a hotchpotch of a post today.

Last Saturday I went to a Doctor Who screening and wore a very 60s style sleeveless blue and white dress with some bright purple tights and knee length black boots. Previously I've worn white tights as that is more the 60s style which, as I understand it, was more pale or tan tights or bare legs but I wanted to try a few colours with it so after an initial idea of wearing blue or yellow I settled on the purple. I also went with a pale pink nail polish and found myself wanting something a bit brighter and bolder. Choosing the right tights and the right shoes has become more of a big thing for me recently. In fact though I have been dressing less and less which is mainly due to the cold weather. February has been a cold, wet and miserable month over here so I'll be glad to get into the spring. I didn't buy any new clothes this week but I did try on a lovely black and white striped top with a bow. A little too small for me, I'm afraid.

As with my last blog, here are a few links to things I've seen this week:

Over in the commuter's favourite (or only) free paper The Metro there was this lovely article featuring a non-binary person standing up for their more feminine clothing choices:

The Metro: Non-binary person wearing skirt supermarket gives the best answer to a customer saying it was confusing

A friend of mine also linked me to the below blog which was fascinating reading and probably a better comment on the whole thing than the mad ramblings of a fortysomething crossdresser. I love the term 'gender creative' too. I've still not thought an awful lot about what term properly defines me these days and I might write about it at another time but 'gender creative' is certainly a good one.

Raising My Rainbow: Gender Is Over

My final one is a video from Bernadette Banner, Rachel Maksy and Morgan Donner who love to dress in more historical styles and in it they explore the reactions they get from the general public.

Why Are You Dressed Like That?: Embracing Bygone Styles

It peaked my interest as history bounding is similar in some ways to crossdressing. Both involve dressing in a style outside what is considered socially acceptable and both can invoke suprising results so this spoke to me very much. I love Rachel Maksy's outfit in this too and will be watching more of her videos. There is quite a wealth of stuff on YouTube I could also write about. Normally I just enter the terms 'clothes swap' or 'crossdressing' and see what pops up.

Coming full circle, history bounding is quite interesting to me and as discussed earlier, I really like the 60s style so I would love to do more of that mayble branching out into the 80s or even the 90s (I'm sure there were some outfits teenage me was jealous of). Certainly after watching the latest series of The Marvellous Mrs Maisal recently, the 50s style has rarely looked more gorgeous. There are some outfits I've seen in some old photos of swinging London but one outfit I would love to do though is the below brown leather look sported by Maggie Blye as Lorna in 1969 classic The Italian Job (apologies for picture blurriness) which I was reminded of while rewatching it last year.

Still from The Italian Job (1969)
Screenshot taken by myself

That's everything for this week. Hopefully I'll have something a bit more in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment