Thursday 30 April 2020

Check-Up #5

Well everyone, I finally bought some new clothes this week...ok so a replacement pair of blue tights for a pair I tore by accident. The colour is slightly off so I may still have to shop around but I'll keep them as I expect I'll find out what works with them. As they say over at Buzzfeed, the results will suprise you. One thing I'm proud of is my developing fashion sense and it's exciting to keep trying new things and new combinations of skirts, tights, tops etc. When everything finally clicks and you find an outfit you love then it feels so rewarding and you feel so good about it. I will write a lengthier piece about this at some point but I would just say it's something you learn over time so if you're in a quandry about starting to dress because you think you have little idea about women's fashion then don't worry as it will come in time and you will develop a style you like if you find it's something that you're into.

Speaking of tights I just wanted to mention Snag Tights. Some of my friends have highlighted how much they love these tights and how the company are struggling in this time of lockdown as are many others. Full disclosure: I've never tried the tights myself but I will be ordering some soon especially the Rasberry Pie pair and possibly the Beach Bum. They also seem to be using male models in a couple of shots too which is quite cool.

EDIT: Checking out the website they also specify that they are a fully inclusive brand and welcome people of all ages, sizes and genders which is pleasing to see. 

https://snagtights.com/  

One final thing I'll mention this week is a programme I was watching today. It was called My Life: I'm Not Just A Boy In A Dress and was a half hour programme shown on CBBC which I noticed as I was looking through the TV listings. Even at my age and despite working out some of my issues, my eyes are still drawn to any programmes to do with drag, crossdressing or explorations of gender identity as I still feel I may learn something about myself.  The programme centered on a lad named Lewis who at 14 has his own drag personality, Athena, and put on a drag show in his town with some of his friends. Shows like this usually bring back a lot of feelings I had as a teenager and how much I wish I had that sense of identity at that age but then I also grew up in a very different time and perhaps like anyone else I had to go through the things I did to become the person I am. At least it gives me hope for future generations. Drag itself has certainly changed and become a lot more acceptable since I was a teen which I expect is mainly down to Ru Paul's Drag Race. As with anything though I expect I would still have been too awkward and shy to do anything about it at that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment