Sunday 28 April 2013

Fashionista #5

Ok so, I totally didn't plan on doing another one of these quite so soon and I know that y'all must be wanting to hear a bit more about some of my experiences but I just wanted to put something up about how cute Clara was looking in tonight's Doctor Who wearing her red dress.

Clara undertakes the Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
It reminds me a bit of a red Chinese style dress my sister wore back when they were in fashion in the late 1990s but this is just so cute. I love the pattern and the black colour. The 1940s tea dress look is coming back in and I could also compare it to the sweet Lolita look. Clara's style is very different to Amy's and is very modern. Mmm I would love to wear something like that.

Would you fancy wearing a doily pinched from your mum's table or the side of the sofa? Well it seems that doily, or crocheted, dresses are becoming quite popular now. 

I'm sorry Mum, I'll give it back after my date
Again, this looks like something from 1940s/1950s and with the recession still on it's part of the whole make do and mend attitude we have these days. Charity shops are flourishing and we are being encouraged to use them and recycle our old clothes. They don't have to be white either, coloured doily dresses and skirts are coming in. 

Along with fur hats, washer woman style headscarves are also making a return.

Can I do you now, sir?

These also fit a more vintage look and it's not just this style with 1950s style scarves which tie around the hair and drape over the shoulder and bigger scarves which cover the head. Another touch of the hippie 1970s look.

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

  1. I love Doctor Who, and I absolutely adore Clara! Not only do I love her personality, but she has the best fashion sense of any companion I've seen. At least in my opinion. I'm still about 20 minutes from the new episode airing in the states, but I already dig that dress of hers ^_^

    Now, I don't know if I've ever encountered a quality doily, but the ones I have seen were rather scratchy for me to imagine they'd make comfortable lingerie.

    Head scarves, I haven't really seen them. Not even in much media aside from a Rosie the Riveter poster. Still, think they could be cute depending on the pattern. Did you change the image for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently the dress was customised. A friend of mine was looking it up, it seems to have made a good impression. It looks really cute and Clara has a wonderfully modern style.

    I've seen a few doily dresses around London. Most of this is culled from what I see on my travels.

    Yes I changed the image, had to do a bit of re-editing and I've seen a few around :)

    ReplyDelete