Tuesday 6 January 2015

Schoolgirl

I enjoyed writing yesterdays blog on fantasies so today my mind wanders back to my schooldays and I wonder what I would have been like as a schoolgirl. I'm talking senior school, or high school, age by the way.

I reckon it would probably have been much the same, fat and geeky, perhaps with a long skirt, jumper, buttoned up shirt and tie. I know we all wonder what it would be like to go back to our teenage years and what we would do differently now. Maybe finally stand up to that bully, study harder and ace every test or just ease off a little and enjoy your freedom more but what would it be like as a different gender. That one change alone puts you in with a different group of people and even though you may essentially be the same person, your surroundings and what is expected of you differ.

I always remember my year got three new students at the beginning of one year. The girls flocked around the only girl there, the guys were talking to the thin, athletic dude and then there was this other guy sitting in the corner. I went over and talked to him and he became one of my best friends for many years. We still keep in contact, by the way, but don't see each other as much as we used to. Oddly enough it was him who introduced me to the gang of friends I hung around with for the rest of my time there, people who had been in my year for the last two or three years.

Perhaps I would like to think I would be more outgoing as a girl but I would probably be the same same shy geek although I would have different friends. Some may have been the same as me but who knows I may have fallen in with the more popular girls who would teach me about make-up and wearing my skirt short. Maybe I would have had a bigger gang of friends and done more things. Sounds a bit like Mean Girls but you never know what might have happened. Of course we had people who were more popular than others, held in higher respect, but it wasn't like a clique or anything. Perhaps I've just watched too much American TV but that's probably a stereotypical view of high school. Never had cheerleaders and I doubt I would have tried out anyway but I did kind of covert the girls sports skirts and tops. They used to play a lot of netball at my school. I used to steal my sister's school skirt when she was otherwise occupied and dress up.

I used to have an odd little fantasy as well. I used to imagine I was I woke up in an alternate universe (but I was aware of it) and was now the equivalent of one of the more popular girls, who I remember used to have a great dress sense. In fact I chronicled it in a caption. The below cap was made for Rachel's Haven caption competition in March 2011 which had 'Everything is Wrong Day' as its topic. The picture is a promo from the 2009 film Tormented 

The New Lisa (2011)
Another fantasy I had was for one of the girls to teach me how to be like her. How to dress, do make-up, behave in class, what to put in my bag etc.I would love to write this up as a story one day and its been a constant fantasy through my life for a woman (she could be a goth, chav, bimbo etc) to teach me how to be like her, personality quirks and all.

Maybe my fantasies owe more to my school days than I first thought.



2 comments:

  1. It is good to know that I'm not alone in this!

    I also know exactly what you mean regarding the fantasies in that they are rarely sexual in the strictly sex sense and more, well, behavioural and about personality quirks and dress sense. Watches and glasses always played a role in mine (most girls wore trousers and we all wore jumpers the same) too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, never thought about watches and glasses before but I can see how certain types and styles say a lot about a person. A certain piece of clothing can tell an actor a lot about the person they are playing.

    Yes, we all jumpers the same too. Some of the girls wore trousers, it wasn't all skirts.

    ReplyDelete