Saturday 2 June 2012

Present Shopping and Others

I spent a couple of hours wandering around a shopping centre after work yesterday looking for various things but mainly birthday presents: I have 3 birthdays coming up next weekend to buy for plus Fathers Day is in a couple of weeks.

Have you ever been trapped in a store by your own choice? I was wandering around HMV to buy some DVDS and I knew I wasn't leaving without buying something. Then I noticed they were doing 2 for £10 so, with one in my hand, I needed another. By the end of it I would have picked up anything just to leave that store. I managed to get a ginger wig though for Amy Pond and an eyepatch. I did up seeing a black mini skirt as well, quite cheap and it should fit although the stores were closing so I'll have to get it another time. I might have to pluck up the courage to take it to the counter too. After all, it's just a piece of clothing and how would they know if I'm buying it for myself? Yeah, I can tell myself that but it doesn't quite convince somehow.

Later on today I'm off to an engagement party which I'm dreading. Another reminder that I don't have a partner and surely any girls I do see there I'll either be too nervous to talk to plus they'll end up having chinless wonders for boyfriends too. I don't know why I bother; an afternoon of feeling insecure, depressed, drunk and stuffed on barbecue food. Ok, so the last two don't sound all bad.


4 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind a comment out of the blue. I'm just waiting for a programme to finish sticking on me.

    Suffice to say: I identify with everything you have said in your post and, indeed, in the blog so far. The attitude and feelings you describe in your last paragraph here could have been written by me in the year before I met my wife.

    Take your time with these things, but enjoy it. One thing I never did, and always wish I had, was go to a 'fancy dress' style do in female clothing.

    Respect to you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna, you're the first person to comment on my blog so thanks muchly and thanks for your kind comments :)

    You may still have your chance to go to a fancy dress party as a girlie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually the ballsier you are, the less likely they are to question you about a purchase.

    and if they ask if its for you, say YES! Perhaps they'll find you much more interesting if you play along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, this is what I was pondering earlier today. I felt inclined to offer up an explanation but wondered whether that was trying to over explain it. Plus, you never know whether the shopgirl may indicate she likes it and that could lead to whole new things...

    In the end, I simply paid for it as I would any other item and it didn't go any differently although I did try to cover it by asking what time the stores closed

    ReplyDelete