Friday 22 June 2012

Doctor Who Cosplay

After my shenanigans last weekend, I got to thinking about other types characters I could do in the future.

Amy has some great outfits of course and very simple to do. I guess that's the attractive thing about it, the clothes don't look too out of place as some would do. That's why men love putting a black suit on: it's smart and makes you look cool and it can be passed off as James Bond, The Blues Brothers, Reservoir Dogs and countless others.

I would love to do Idris, the human form of the TARDIS, in that wonderful bluey gothy dress.



I saw Tegan's purple air stewardess uniform on sale as a fancy dress outfit a year ago and thought about that. There was also a green shirt and shorts that Rory wears in Day of the Moon, I could just cover myself with marks and that would be a pretty easy costume. I've never really thought about any of the Doctor's costumes apart from maybe David Tennant's which is pretty nice plus I have the coat. I bought it to wear as Mal Reynolds from Firefly one Halloween. The first pictures of Tennant in costume were released around that time and most people thought I was meant to be him despite the absence of a pinstripe.

I love the feminised fan costumes there are about these days too like the Dalek girls:


There are also some wonderful designs featuring the TARDIS, Cybermen and even individual Doctors. I saw one girl wearing a Tenth Doctor outfit with a pinstripe mini-skirt and another dressed as the Second Doctor albeit with a chequered kilt-like skirt with a blue shirt, black jacket and bow tie. It's wonderful that people are being so creative with the concept.  

 A T-girl friend of mine said I should do the new companion at some point. Of course that all depends on what she wears...

2 comments:

  1. Whilst Matt Smith is more Doctor-y for me I agree that Tennant was much more a fashion that I'd like to copy. I really like the sound of a female cosplay of him with a mini-skirt.

    I was a child of the McCoy era though, so most of my cosplay thoughts inevitably turn to Ace in Curse of Fenric... Ahem, sorry, yes, you have lots of cool ideas. I get what you mean about Amy too - that's part of her appeal I think. I have to catch up on the last episodes though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I forgot about Ace!

    I've seen some good Ace cosplay especially when they get the jacket right. I would love to do Ace- mini skirt and patterned tights. The jacket would be too hard though.

    I was around 8 when the McCoy era started but for some reason I never watched the classic series. I started with New Who and worked my way back.

    ReplyDelete