Tuesday 19 June 2012

The Convention

Ok, yeah so I totally rocked it.

The convention was a lot of fun in the end. I saw some people I knew from previous years and they had some great guests. I even met Matt Smith, however briefly.

I wore the costume on Saturday night and I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. When the time came to put it on I didn't feel as nervous as I have previous times although as I walked down the corridors it did seem eerily quiet and I could hear every step. I still had doubts over the wig and there were so many good Amys about. I looked down at my feet and I was pretty good although looking at the full thing in the mirror my upper body seemed out of proportion with the rest. I didn't have falsies in, by the way. As always you do get the odd comment but I've always been able to handle them which is strange for me since I usually take such things very personally. "Terrifying but brilliant" was how one of the guests described me. I even met up with another 'drag Amy' and we had a few pictures taken that I believe have made it onto Twitter. Well, I kind of requested one sent to a friend of mine to cheer her up. We even had a few dances once the disco started up. Someone requested "Dude Looks Like A Lady" by Aerosmith. Can't think why...

At one point, early in the morning and through my drunken haze I saw a girl in a UNIT uniform. And reader, I married her. Actually no, I didn't even speak to her but I've always wanted to write that line. I've enjoyed the odd kiss at a convention in the past and I seem to put too much pressure on myself by hoping that it might happen again, some small morsel of romantic entanglement to convince me that I may still have a love life one day. Oh, and as for being drunk as well that was no mean feat at £4.40 a pint at the hotel but one rarely left my hand that night as I used it as a kind of crutch. I believe this was only partially down to the alcohol though; having something to hold in my hand somehow helped my nerves although, as I said, I wasn't really that nervous.

Searching back through the wilderness for my point, the dancing girl brought to mind a couple of things. Firstly, that I hadn't noticed the women in drag getting as much attention as some of us guys and I'm not sure whether I should feel a little jealous of that. Secondly, that I would rather be the Doctor's flighty assistant than a soldier any day. There were some lovely female versions of Doctor costumes around too.

Once I got back to my room I almost didn't want to take the costume off and I was really proud of myself that day. It turned out to be one of the highlights of my weekend. I have to admit to feeling quite sad, as I normally do, when I had to leave and it was all over. I've had a couple of days off and it's back to work tomorrow.

Looking back now even after the post I made yesterday, crossdressing doesn't seem as scary as it once was and I'm not sure what this means for me. Maybe I'm finally coming to terms with it.

2 comments:

  1. Great news, you awesome individual of whom I'm not the least bit jealous...

    Seriously, that sounds like a good time all round. I know what you mean about feeling like you don't want to take off the costume - it means that wonderful freedom is over for a little while.

    Also, I know what you mean about having beer as a crutch, but I also know you don't need it if you don't want. Next time, marry the UNIT lady! Seriously, keep that feeling going and ignore the rest - it isn't real, the feeling is.

    ReplyDelete