Sunday 29 July 2012

Olympics


I can't really avoid the Olympics living and working where I do.

I can't say that I'm that interested in sport generally. I might watch the football when England are in a major tournament, probably in a pub to soak up the atmosphere, but other than that no. However I do recall the Seoul Olympics in 1988 mainly because I saw all these posters with 'Seoul '88' on and I had no idea what it was only being 9 years old at the time.

The London 2012 Olympics has been creeping up and suddenly its here. I work in London and quite close to Hyde Park, one of the big venues, and travelling right past the Olympic stadium at Stratford on the train. Travel is probably going to be a bitch but the first day wasn't so bad although I'm not looking forward to it. A lot of people are leaving the country so that may balance with all the people coming in.

The promotion troubles me too. I still don't like the logo, it's trying too hard to be edgy and cool. There's also of course the thing you see. Do you know the thing? Ok, so I'll explain the thing but I'll warn you that once you see it, you can't unsee it so skip below now if you don't want me to warp your mind with my twisted humour. well, not MY twisted humour, I didn't invent this but at some point someone realised that the picture is basically Lisa Simpson giving a blow job.

London 2012 Logo

Then we also have the mascots, Wenlock and Mandeville. I don't mind them that much and I love the taxicab lights on top of their heads. However one reason for mascots I would expect is to give something for the kids to enjoy. You get the kids interested the the characters will be very popular and lucrative and with this in mind I have to question a couple of things. First of all, they need expressions, a smile at least, and then there's the dip. One of them, I think it's Wenlock has a little dip above the eye and this makes it look like he's frowning and a bit evil. Seriously, all he needs is a small black goatee beard.

Wenlock and Mandeville


McDonalds have also plastered posters all over the tubes and they are beginning to annoy me. They're based on their campaign about the different types of people who use the restaurant. For example, the ways they eat fries like "the bottom of the baggers" and now it's the ways we watch the Olympics like "the nervous peeker" or "the air puncher" which is all well and good and I find it quite smart but then you have "the showing-the way-er" or "the peckish pick-me-up-er". THESE ARE NOT REAL THINGS! Ok sorry, got that out of my system now. There's even a promotion for the next winter Olympics near Hyde Park, a cat in a scarf with an igloo on an ice floe. Considering how hot it's been lately, it was quite funny. Lots of people are arriving with big pieces of laminated square card around their necks. 

Despite everything though, I can't help feeling the buzz around it all and the sense that I'm living through history. Smack bang in the middle of it (well, off to the side anyway) but it's a wonderful feeling. The opening ceremony was marvellous and I'm sure things will calm down as the games get underway. I'm sure I'll take all that back when I'm bitching about travel next week.     

2 comments:

  1. What? No ranting about no Dr Who appearing in this show drama...? I'm dissappointed Terri *giggle* Just the TARDIS sound won't do for my fandom, nor the rest of the world... Let's not talk about that episode and Danny Boyle giving an olympic look to it (In Spain saying that phrase means that the person don't care haha)

    In Barcelona 92 we had Cobi, and it was a little: hey is that supposed a mascot?, but in the end everyone accepted it!

    Hugs and Kisses Alectra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't mind that Doctor Who didn't feature that much. The TARDIS sound was a nice nod and I don't think that the Olympic episode "Fear Her" was that bad.

    With all the record viewing figures coming through for the ceremony, it's nice to see that in this Internet and iPlayer age there are still some must watch things that everyone comes together for.

    ReplyDelete