Saturday 21 July 2012

Clothes

Another kind of jumbly post this time.

Just finished watching Primeval and first of all I must say a word about Ruth Kearney who plays the tech girl Jess. As well as being cute as a button she wears such wonderfully smart clothes as well. Mini skirts that are not too slutty (although some seem too short for the character) and cute tops. Now that is a smart wardrobe for a modern girl. I would love to dress like her perhaps on a night out to a restaurant or bar, the smart casual kind of look.


Ruth Kearney as Jess in Primeval


I saw a girl on the tube the other day wearing the strangest outfit, well I thought it was anyway, but it was glorious. She was in her twenties, a short brunette (which I have to say is most definitely my type) in a top and green leathery jacket. So far, so indie chick I guess but she then has a tartan skirt on. Not the kind of cute short and pleated that I just adore but an old lady woollen kind of skirt. This was topped off by shoes that were really strappy and showy; the kind you would expect to be worn by an overly made-up bottle blonde in a skimpy dress. I say none of this to insult her, you understand, but this outfit really stood out to me and I sometimes wish I could, or had the confidence, to wear such eclectic mixes of clothes like Japanese girls seem to do.  

Clothes have always intrigued me. People swapping outfits always look fun because a style is very individual and you are passing that on to someone else. A pink-loving bimbo and a goth girl switching togs would always be fun because neither of them would choose that outfit for themselves. Even people wearing the same outfit as another like this still from Suburgatory which started on E4 this week.

Dalia shares her style with Tessa in Suburgatory

The show was a bit like Mean Girls but it will be fun to see how it develops. Recently makeover show Snog, Marry, Avoid has had a new host for the new series in the shape of attractive comedienne Ellie Taylor. The basic idea of the it is that it's a make-under show featuring girls being stripped of their hair extensions, make-up and fake tans for a more natural look. This is a guilty pleasure of mine and although I haven't seen may episodes of the latest series, it has featured Ellie trying out many of the fashions involved like the Scouse Brow or dressing as a WAG.

The below picture is a promotional shot for the show featuring Ellie next to an overly made-up and tarty version of herself. This is the kind of stuff I love; people taking on different personae and looks through clothes. What you wear tells a lot about your personality.

Ellie Taylor and Ellie Taylor in Snog, Marry, Avoid

I'll always remember one day back in 2004 when I wore 3 different kinds of clothes. I had an interview early that day so I had to get up early and put my best suit and tie on. I wear this every day now, I must look quite the young professional which is quite scary. I didn't get that particular job and it remains one of my worst rejections. I came back home and changed back into my regular jeans and t-shirt. Later on I went to work dressed in older clothes: tracksuit bottoms and a big fleece. Three different looks in one day. It may not sound much but this kind of thing sticks in my mind and there's something I could write about it but I'm not sure what.    


2 comments:

  1. Snog, Marry, Avoid is definitely a guilty pleasure! And I totally 'get' the clothes thing. It's not so big in my life but I am fascinated by how people seem to live their clothes in a way that I never seem properly able to. They seem to wear stuff that matches their personality or change their personality to fit the clothes they wear.

    Tell me, did you ever notice watches back in the day, when most people wore them? I was always amazed by the choice and how much they said about the person wearing them. It's harder now, even people of my generation seem to prefer phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I noticed watches that much. Perhaps because when I was growing up most were digital plastic things. I do now these days and you still see a some people wearing them. Those colour block watches are quite popular now.

    ReplyDelete