Saturday 18 August 2012

Olympics #2

Well, the Olympics have been over here for about a week now and everything's more or less back to normal.

The travel wasn't too bad in the end although it was mainly the helpers that got on my nerves. Now, don't get me wrong I would be glad to see so many people leading the way if I was a stranger in a strange land but since it was just a normal working fortnight for me I slipped into haughty commuter mode. I resented being herded about and asked if I knew where I was going by people younger than me. This must be what being a pensioner feels like. Before some cordons were put up they were all holding hands to guide us around the station. What made it weirder was that I was wearing a suit so I don't see why people thought I had come from the Olympics anyway. At least they put on a lot of extra trains and I used to walk over to Hyde Park in my lunch hour to see what was on. I expect come the winter I'll look back on it with fondness

Still, you can't deny the wonderful sense of national pride that it's brought about which is something virtually heard of in this country except in extremist organisations. It's become such a national event and a real pick-me-up for people. I've known people that are not that into sport but have got wrapped up in it all. I even went to see the closing ceremony up on a big screen in the middle of town. Yeah, that wasn't too hot I have to admit.

Just a quick note on the mascots. I've read up on all the thinking that went into them, the designs and names etc. and it all makes sense in a weird way but sadly I still hold the same opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment