Friday 16 November 2012

Harry Potter Cosplay

Well, not exactly Harry Potter, that wouldn't be any fun at all now would it.

A couple of months ago (I think) I mentioned a Harry Potter themed cosplay and it will be happening at some point this weekend as I'm going on holiday with my friends. It started off as a loose theme of everyone dressing up as students from Hufflepuff house but a secret theme has been added: school age Nymphadora Tonks (both guys and gals). I gave it some consideration and decided to make a go of it and have spent the last couple of weeks putting a costume together. I tried it on last night and although I'm not as pleased as I was with my Amy Pond outfit, it still looked good. Speaking of Doctor Who, I'm going to another convention in December and am trying to decide what, if anything, I could do for that.

So I basically have a white shirt (normal workwear sort), pleated grey skirt, black and yellow striped socks, tights with stars on, black jumper, Hufflepuff tie and scarf. Oh, and a really cheap wand. I also bought a purple wig and wigs are something I have been thinking about a lot recently. Now, I did see a really nice layered purple one but I eschewed it for a cheaper one. Maybe I should have got the better quality but I guess I thought that would be going too far. Once again I feel very self conscious which I guess relates back to what I said in an earlier post, the average man either feels embarrassed and refuses to dress or goes at it with gusto. The crossdresser grabs every opportunity to dress but I would bet a good portion share my fear of looking like they are enjoying it too much or having their secret exposed.

I wonder if I was asked to participate because my friend wanted to feel better about crossplaying himself or maybe he thought I would enjoy it. I'm not sure which I believe or which I would prefer to be true. At the same time I fear being mocked, even light teasing really gets to me. I've played the fool too many times.

I am wishing I had bought more accessories now.

I guess I'll find out in a few days time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time with your friends! If you're like me, I'm sure you're over thinking things nd and everything will turn out great!

    I've actually been thinking about crossplaying lately. the thought being dressing as nanao ise from bleach for a convetion this summer. Though considering that I've started coming out to friends and family, I'm not sure how far that would be considered crossplay.

    Anyways, try to relax ad have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete