Wednesday 8 April 2020

Don't Worry, It's Not For Me

For me, self-isolation continues along with rounds of work and sleep but at least there's the Easter break coming which will be nice. I'm still having a lot of fun dressing for work though and I do wonder if I should use some of this time to watch a few make-up tutorials. I've also kept my nails painted all week which is a rarity for me.

Recently I was watching a TV show, Dressed To Impress I think it was called. Another in the vein of twentysomething dating programmes but this seemed to involve one person trying to impress a prospective date by buying them clothes. In fact this may become a trend as I recall a show a few years ago in which two people dress each other the way they would love a date to dress. It was quite interesting especially when you saw how they really dressed at the end.

Anyway, full disclosure I only ended up watching about ten minutes of it but it left me thinking especially wondering how good I might be buying clothes for a girl and exactly how much info they had to begin with but also because one of the guys kept saying "don't worry, it's not for me" whenever he approached the till with his chosen items. This phrase irritated me as well as remembering all the times I had approached a till with both clothes and excuses to hand as to why I'm buying them. Truth is, I've never had a shop assistant ask or look at me in an odd way and I've even had the odd, rare, compliment.

I have to wonder where this so-called worry originates and perhaps that it's a fear of homosexuality or at least being thought of as homosexual which of course strikes at the masculinity of many an insecure youth or perhaps may even be a throwback to the times when it was illegal. Homosexuality and drag have always gone hand in hand but many don't see them as operating seperately and that works both ways. Of course there's also Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 movie Psycho which portrayed the main villain as not only a knife weilding killer but a transvestite. The year earlier though we had Some Like It Hot in which two musicians go on the run in drag to escape the mob. I don't think we saw a portrayal of dressing as something to be celebrated until The Rocky Horror Picture Show in 1975 but even then Dr Frank N. Furter is hardly the sanest of people. Recently though and with the success of Ru Paul's Drag Race it has been lifted to an art form and has become something to celebrate. With more and more people declaring themselves gender fluid and with trans people becoming more visible, hopefully the 2020s will see us moving away from 'worrying' when a young man shows an interest in more feminine attire.



No comments:

Post a Comment