Thursday 14 March 2019

Some Dude, a Zip and a Changing Room

While in the last few years I feel I've grown in confidence every so often I get a bit of a knock and occasionally wonder why I continue to do this. Thankfully it seems my resolve is strong enough to keep on despite the knocks but today was one of the worst.

Now changing rooms have always been a sticking point for me and I've gradually built up my confidence in using them. Today I went into a vintage store and there was a male store assistant standing in front of the small changing rooms. I've had my eye on a black pleated mini skirt for a while and decided to try it on today. It depends on my mood sometimes how I approach a situation like this and I'm suprised I actually had the will to go up there with this dude in front but I've had largely positive experiences and London is quite understanding, so to speak. 

The upshot was I wasn't allowed to try on the skirt. Apparently they have a 'big problem'with men trying on women's clothes and noted that zips get busted by men trying them on. So in one way it a little comforting that there are so many out there but I felt a bit humiliated by this I tried to stick up for myself by saying that I knew my own size and wouldn't have wanted to try if I didn't. According to this guy he has more experience and he can see that it won't. Not wanting to get into an argument and to be honest not having any arguement to present I left the store.I also didn't want to have a row with some guy just doing his job and having worked with the public I know how trying it can be but I felt humiliated. To be fair I do sort of see his point especially with vintage clothes and it wasn't like I was banned form buying it but I'm sure the guy could still have handled the situation a bit better rather than basically tell me I was too fat to try something on and I don't think there are many who would want to try anything on, male or female, with some dude standing in the way. I don't know why I just didn't buy it untried. Damn changing rooms. 

Now like anyone I have fantasies of going back and saying something or maybe buying the skirt outright but I'm leaning towards never darkening their door again. Screw them I'll spend money elsewhere. Should I stand up a little more though? Not just for me but for those who are too embarrassed to? Not sure.

I feel a bit rubbish and humiliated tonight but I hope it will pass. I don't want this to stop me.  

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, that sounds awful for you! What a horrible thing to happen.

    Secondly, buy the skirt. Statutory rights mean you can try it on at home.

    Thirdly, what a dick. Surely if the zip sticks they simply charge you for it?

    Fourthly, well done for keeping on!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna :)

    I wish I had just bought it outright now. I must have been in a good mood to even have gone up there. I'm still of a mind to buy it just for kicks anyway whether it fits or not. It won't be the first time and I doubt it will be the last.

    ReplyDelete