Thursday 26 February 2015

Pink Library #6: Houndstooth

I found this story only recently but it really hit my preferences so much.

That story is Houndstooth by Lyodor Tolstoyevski and it can be found in:

Funky Lady: A TG Mixed Tape

These Mix Tapes are a lovely compilation of  short TG stories, interviews and essays and are a great rear if you're just getting into TG fiction. The same Tape also contains an interview with Morpheus although the interviewer sadly (for me anyway) doesn't ask if one of my fave concepts, the Role Exchanger, will be coming back. I had read an earlier story of Lyodor's in another Mix Tape and I will probably talk about that another time.

This story is quite short, in fact I've written bigger captions but that's definitely no bad thing at all, and concerns a man and a woman on the bus. The woman (wearing a stylish houndstooth skirt) falls onto the man (wearing jeans) as the bus stops short and they slowly swap garments. Now anyone reading this knows how much I love clothes swaps and this one is one of the best and most original I've ever read. The slow description works so well as the clothes reform starting from their zippers and slowly switching material with the narrator unaware of the changes; his world reshaping around him. At the end, it's never confirmed if a TG change has even taken place and I would guess not since the woman is definitely still a woman. This does not matter one jot though especially as the narrator doesn't think it odd that he's in a skirt. The final line suits it perfectly too.

I definitely need to check out more of this author's work.
 
Lovely piece of writing!

A stylish Houndstooth skirt

Photo Source: wholesaleclothing4u.com via Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment